Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

How To Make Quilted Raw Edge Letters

I made a blanket for Harper's first birthday that has her name on it.  The letters are three layers consisting of flannel backing, quilt batting and cotton print for the top.  I found free templates for the letters at ohsohappytogether's blog.

She has provided free pdf files of upper case, lower case and numbers.  I love the font!
I traced each letter on to the printed cotton with a fabric pencil...
Then pinned the three layers together....
I stitched directly on top of the pencil marks...
Then i cut out the letters giving them a 1/2 inch border.  The next step was the most tedious.  You have to clip around the seams every 1/8th inch.  I clipped almost up to the stitching I did on top of the fabric pencil markings.  After all the clipping has been done, toss them in the washer and dryer to do the fraying magic....
I love how they turned out.  I then stitched them to the blanket.

Scroll down to see who I have linked to this week.

4 comments:

  1. I love your technique. I've made several blankets with names and frayed edges, but I haven't ever frayed the edges before sewing them on. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you please tell me what templates you used? I can't find any fonts the same, and this is exactly what I'm after :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belinda,
    I've updated my blog post to include the link to ohsohappytogether's blog where she shares free PDF files for the letters.

    ReplyDelete