Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Heart Healthy Recipe Chile Rellenos

I want to start this post with a note to Grandma S: This is diabetic friendly grandma, you can make yourself a whole baking dish full of this and eat off of it all day!!! You like eggs, cheese and hot peppers!!!

This is another recipe from the Spring 2010 issue of Heart Healthy Living magazine. Ingredients are as follows:
2 large fresh poblano chile peppers
1 c shredded reduced fat mexican blend cheese
1 - 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1.5 c refrigerated egg product or 6 beaten eggs
1/3 c fat free milk
1/3 c flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t cayenne pepper
Picante sauce and/or light sour cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Halve the poblano peppers and remove seeds, stems and veins. Immerse peppers in boiling water 3 minutes, drain, invert on paper towels to dry.

Place pepper halves in baking dish, top with jalapenos and cheese. All who know me well, know that I did not seed the jalapenos nor did I finely chop them. I love jalapenos so I kept those seeds for all the hot flavor!!!
In medium bowl, combine the eggs and milk. Add flour, baking powder and cayenne pepper. Beat until smooth, pour over peppers.

I did not use whole eggs as the recipe called for. I used just the egg whites. And I used whole wheat flour which also worked well.

Bake, uncovered for 15 minutes or until a knife inserted into the egg mixture comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes and serve with picante and sour cream.
Had to share where Riley likes to lay while I'm working in the kitchen. I have to keep the trash can pulled away from the side of the cabinet so he can squeeze into a tight spot.
These chile rellenos were so good. This was my first time to make them and am now wondering why I waited so long to try them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment