Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

I Want To Wrap You In A Hug MODA Verna Prints

 About a month ago when I noticed that my mother-in-law was having to deal with always being cold, my mind started spinning with ideas of what could I do to help.  I was wishing I knew how to knit, because I would make her a heavy warm sweater or poncho.  What talent did I have that I could use to create something that was warm and also pretty to look at?  Quilting of course.  It's my favorite pastime.  It's my creative expression.  I then got busy finding just the right combination of fabrics.  Her favorite color is blue and she likes flowers.  Shopping on Etsy.com gave me lots of options to chose from.  The ones you see above are the choices I made.  When they arrived in the mail at my workplace, I was giddy, I was anxious to get home and start on my project, to create something unique, something that would be just hers.....
I did not purchase quite enough fabric for the size of quilt I wanted to make, so I rummaged through my fabric stash and found some white cotton that I could integrate into my idea.  I like to use old quilted mattress pads for the backing of my quilts.  I don't come across them very often, my dad usually finds them for me at estate sales.  Lucky me or lucky mother-in-law, I did have one in my closet.  I got the quilt top completed and it worked out perfectly to match the backing......
I like to spread my quilts out on the living room floor, where I use the carpet and padding underneath to secure my large safety pins that hold the four corners tight as I pin my quilt.  The only problem with working on the floor is that the Bichon always thinks I'm laying down a blanket for him to romp on.........
So after he had his fun and finally jumped up on the couch to take a nap, I was able to get the entire quilt pinned and ready to stitch.  I used the stippling technique for this quilt.  It is now my favorite way to put a quilt together.....
For the binding I found a stripped fabric that had all the colors I was using.  I love how it turned out......


It took me almost three weeks of working nights and weekends to get this project done before it was ready to go in the mail and make its way to Texas.  I took it over to Katie's apartment complex last weekend to get some good pictures of it in the grass.  All the grass in my yard is now brown from the hot summer but at Katie's, the sprinkler system keeps the grass a pretty green.....
I always run my finished quilts through the washer and dryer to crinkle up the fabric around the stippling.  I love the look!
After I got all my pictures taken it was time to get this gift in the mail.  I notified my brother-in-law Steve that a surprise was on its way and asked him to have camera in hand to catch the moment in pictures for me.  Steve takes her to her chemo, radiation and hydration appointments every morning and it works out perfectly that the mailman comes early and she got her package before leaving for treatment!  Here are the sweet pictures he took:
So Patricia Ann, mother-in-law, I hope you find comfort in the love it was made with.  I think of you every day, but especially on Tuesday's and Thursday's as you go for your radiation and hydration, when you have to patiently wait two hours on those days for the fluids to get into your system and get you hydrated.   I wish I could sit by your side, smile into your eyes and pass those two hours away with silly talks and reminiscing of past stories.  So even though I am far away I hope you can feel my love for you as you sit in your recliner at home all snuggled up in this quilt or when you take it to your bed for an afternoon nap and as you cocoon inside the warmth of it, know that all your family loves you and that hugs are coming your way from everywhere your family has scattered:   Michigan, Mississippi, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Illinois, Arizona, Colorado and right there in Texas.
Love you dearly.....

This post has been linked to:


Click here to return to view more of the blog hop.

1 comment:

  1. How sweet and so beautiful! I love the verna fabrics and your stippling looks great! I'm glad you got to see pictures of her opening it. What a special special gift. Praying for her healing.

    ReplyDelete