Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Carrot Cake From Scratch

Making a carrot cake from scratch is a lot of work...........but so worth it. Yesterday morning I made my first carrot cake, icing and all from scratch. There were lots of steps involved but it turned out fantastic and everyone loved it. I found a recipe from SOUTHERN LIVING, 1997. Click here to get to the recipe.

One thing that saved some time was using pre-grated carrots. They cost more but well worth the extra expense.
Lining the cake pans with wax paper was another time saver.....

After the cakes came out of the oven, a buttermilk glaze had to be drizzled over them. I messed up on my timing and did not get the glaze completed in enough time to get it on the cakes while they were hot out of the oven. I need to invest in a real double boiler and not having to rely on my makeshift one I use with two sauce pans stacked on top of each other.

Using the wax paper was great because I could lift the cake layers right out of their pans and get them layered together. Cream cheese frosting went between each layer.

And here is this finished product. I think it turned out really good for my first attempt!

I will definitely be adding this recipe to my collection........So good!


1 comment:

  1. That looks sooooooo good! I got your package on Saturday I am excited to try it. Thanks
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete