Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Raw Edge Circle Quilt

Today was a cold rainy day that was perfect for me to finish my first Raw Edge Circle Quilt. I got the idea and instructions from Allison at her Cluck Cluck Sew blog.  Hers was so cute I wanted to give it a try so I dug through my  sewing closet and pulled out scraps of blues and yellows.  I was determined to not make any new purchases of fabric for this one and use up some of the smaller pieces I had sitting in my closet since this quilt requires many different patterns.
I cut out 50 circles and 50 squares.  Sewed the circles onto the squares with a 1/4 inch seam allowance so the borders of the circles will fray or curl up with multiple washings of the finished quilt.  Then cut each square into four pieces.  Scramble them up and make new squares!  I used free motion quilting.  It is now my favorite technique for machine quilting!

I made the binding with leftover scraps from the quilt and machine stitched it on.  I washed the quilt once before taking these pictures but now have it in the washer again to get an even more crinkled up look!
I love it.  It turned better than I expected for my first time of trying a new pattern.  Someday I will make another one using children's prints because I REALLY like the one that Allison at Cluck Cluck Sew made.  You can click here to see her quilt and read her tutorial.
I spent most of the day at the sewing machine and Riley spent about an hour curled up in a basket of clean laundry right of the dryer.  I think he can smell the clean laundry because he always wants to get in the basket to soak up the warmth!





This post is linked to Just a Girl's Show and Share Day.

3 comments:

  1. Your quilt turned out beautifully! I love your use of the colors. Your tutorial makes it sound so simple even though it turns out looking complex. Just Wonderful!!
    :o) Rebecca

    Oh and I'm a fan of free motion quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is beutiful...Love your blog design....A sleepless night so doing a little blog hopping....

    I have a Disney Giveaway on my main blog...Hope you will stop by.

    http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks spectacular! At first I thought, right -- couldn't finish THAT in one day -- but then read your description and thought -- Oh, well ....maybe.... on a REALLY good day
    Awesome job!

    Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete